More February Poems

My poem-a-day-for-February month is winding up. As long as nothing unexpected happens by Saturday I’ll have written at least thirty poems this month. (So far there have been two days when I wrote two.)

The experience has had an ease about it that I didn’t feel last year. What a good reminder that, for just about anything, practice helps.

In celebrations of Poetry Friday, I’m posting a few of my poems from the past week. Visit Heidi Mordhorst’s My Juicy Little Universe for links to more poetry and many reasons to get excited about MARCH.

February 21: I wrote in response to the prompt: “Write a poem inspired by a favorite word or a word you find interesting.” I’ve always loved the sound of “petunia.” Plus, it’s fun to say. Try it.

Petunias

Petunias

Petunia

tune in to color
and put petunias into the ground
bright as sound
the tune of petunias

© Karin Fisher-Golton, 2015

February 24: This poem was inspired by underwater sounds as part of Laura Shovan’s sound poem project on Author Amok. Here is a link to her page with a gorgeous photo of a sea turtle, more watery poems, and a link to the sound: http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2015/02/2015-sound-poem-project-day-24-sea.html

The Underwater Way

The underwater citizens
confine their violence
to a snap
               then quickly resume
their peaceful flow.

© Karin Fisher-Golton, 2015

February 25: In honor of all the furry office companions, and especially in memory of my two:

The Poet’s Assistant

The poet’s assistant provides
quiet companionship
in the indoor office space.
The assistant is available to hear
the poet’s readings, joys, and woes.
Additionally, the assistant bestows
its soft furry head and back
to receive pats that connect the poet
to the present time and place.
And when the poet needs to walk
in the outdoor office space
to discover what poetic thoughts
are to be found there,
the poet’s assistant is happy
to oblige with a walk.

© Karin Fisher-Golton, 2015

February 26: Another poem inspired by Laura Shovan’s sound poem project on Author Amok. Yesterday, before I wrote I saw that the prompt was train sounds. Then while was out in the morning I had an experience much like the one described in this little poem. More poems inspired by train sounds are here: http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2015/02/2015-sound-poem-project-day-26-train.html

Rolling Rhythm

I hear the beat of drumming, rhythmic rising cross terrain.
I glance and see no drummers drum—the sound comes from a train.

© Karin Fisher-Golton, 2015

Thank you visitors and friends of poetry!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Karin's poetry. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to More February Poems

1. jama says:

Thanks for sharing these and congrats on writing poems all during February! I think my favorite is The Underwater Way. So true :).

2. cvarsalona says:

Karin, I enjoyed reading your various poems. Laura’s sound poem project was a great experience. I congratulate you for your persistence with writing. I have another challenge for you but this is only asking for one poem with an accompanying photo that describes a winter whispering. 1st invitation at =>http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2015/01/ringing-in-new-year-with-look-back-and.html and another piece about the global gallery on today’s post for Poetry Friday. I hope you are interested.

3. Myra GB says:

Loved The Poet’s Assistant! 🙂

4. Heidi Mordhorst says:

Nice to get to know you, Karin! I loved “tuning in to color” with the petunias. I hope you’ll come and join in my MarCH CHallenge now and then.

5. djtsmith says:

Wow! Lots of writing accomplished! I have some poet assistants at my house…one is helping me right now. I need to go stop her. Sometimes they can keep a thought from happening…

6. Linda Baie says:

Congratulations on finishing the month with many poems, Karin. I love that line “with a snap”, but also enjoyed the poet’s assistant-very fun to see another view. Glad to have seen some of your work on Laura’s site!

7. You have such talent. I loved all of your poems — each so different. So do you have another book coming out any time soon?

• Aw, thanks so much, Patricia. That means a lot to me as I really value your opinion. I’ve been struck by the variety, too. I usually start with a subject idea, and each lends itself to something different. I like the process of choosing the fitting forms and techniques. No new book soon, but many ideas in the works!

8. Irene Latham says:

Karin, I love your conclusion that practice helps! I actually love that word attached to art of any kind… not “work” but “practice.” It feels very in the moment, like anything can happen– and also, less pressure! I also love thinking about the tune of the petunia. Thank you for sharing these!

• Thanks, Irene. I like applying “practice” to all the arts too. I think because a piece of art can be so powerful sometimes we think that skill at art is absolute–either you have it or not, and forget that practice is a big factor and that artists put a lot of time into their practice. I’m delighted that you like thinking about the tune of petunias.

9. Tabatha says:

Congratulations — way to reach that goal! I enjoyed all the poems you shared today…I think “Rolling Rhythm” was my favorite!